How to be a better person: show someone you care
‘You look great today’ and other ways to say ‘I love you’
It’s Human Beings 101 to want to be loved, and there are many ways to say ‘I love you’.
I was recently in a car crash. I’m fast recovering and feeling blessed to be resilient and calm in an emergency. Yay for me.
The accident has provided many opportunities for personal reflection, and in particular it has invited me to notice and appreciate the many ways in which people say: I love you, I care, I’m sorry, I appreciate you.
It can be way too big and confronting to say the words ‘I love you’. I’ve started to notice how much we show love in other ways. My parents used to own an old fashioned service station, which I spent a lot of time in as a kid. I remember a few customers would honk their horns as they drove past. It was their way of connecting and saying, “hello I care about you”.
12 ways you can show someone that you care about them
1. Share a warm and connecting smile.
2. Give your undivided attention by listening fully and without judgement.
3. Encourage self-care. So many people are terrible at looking after themselves.
4. Check in with them online with messages via text or social media, including sending words or images that will make the other person smile.
5. Send or deliver flowers, cake or soup at their door. Even handpicked flowers from your garden in a jam jar are a wonderful surprise.
6. Write encouraging words on a social media post.
7. Help them get appointments with your favourite health professionals, if they want you to.
8. Wave at them when you are out and about.
9. Give authentic compliments, such as “your hair looks great today”.
10. Provider useful practical information if they need it. For me, recently, this was about car insurance.
11. Meditate or pray for the ideal outcome for a person or situation. (Healing circle meditations are great BTW, so feel welcome to ask me about a weekly group I belong to that does this).
12. Be available for coffee or a walk or a phone chat. You can initiate this or accept their invitation.
Can you add to this list? Keep an eye out over the next few days for signs of love: receiving and providing it.